International Certificate In Interior Design
Self Paced Interior Design Online Courses
A house becomes a home with your skilled touch and creative vision. Our Interior Design Courses give you all of the training and skills you need to create beautiful and comfortable homes.
The Interior Design Courses are delivered online and consists of 12 modules and 12 interactive assignments. You can study in your own time and at your own pace. Students studying the Certificate Course are provided up to 12 months to complete their studies. Extensions are available if required.The modules are designed to be read sequentially and will help build your knowledge to enable you to design a residential space.
There are exercises at the end of each module, which will require you to participate in the design experience. It is through participation and interaction that you will learn to feel confident and find your creative voice. The exercises are designed to help you build your first professional portfolio.
Each student will be given the same residential renovation tasks that will require them to upload new floor and lighting plans, suggest furnishings, fabrics, window treatments, lighting, upholstery and accessories, explore decoration and various design styles, provide colour schemes, upload mood boards, write quotations, prepare newspaper ads, write a scope of works for your contractors, provide a preliminary costing for your clients, etc.
As these are online courses, we understand that some of our students do not have access to real life renovations or clients, so each project completed throughout our course will be hypothetical.
Experience the transformation as your thoughts and opinions evolve while gaining more knowledge and skills. Enjoy the process of gaining skills that will enable you to communicate your untapped, creative potential.
This is a course of very high standards, that is very competitively priced. The course materials are used internationally, and the delivery and format are identical to the Diploma version of the course. The only difference is that the Certificate course is less rigorous.
Tutors do not have to be Government accredited but have all been handpicked for their industry expertise and ability to impart knowledge to students.
This is a non accredited course in Australia although the course is recognised globally by the following bodies:
– DDA (Decorators & Designers Association of Canada)
– BBB (Better Business Bureau)
– CID (Certified Interior Decorators International)
– IARC (International Approval and Registration Centre)
– BAC (British Accreditation Council)
– UKRLP (United Kingdom Register of Learning Providers)
You need a great portfolio, not necessarily a degree in interior design to become a professional interior designer. This is exactly what our Certificate Course focuses on – providing you with the practical skills and technical knowledge to build a professional portfolio and launch a rewarding freelance interior design career or an exciting new hobby.
You will have the skills and knowledge required to start a full or part time career, a profitable sideline or you can use our course to fulfil an exciting new hobby. On successful completion of the Australian Accredited Diploma Course you will be awarded an Australian Accredited Diploma in Interior Design (MSF50218), and graduate as a professional Interior Designer.
Included when you purchase the Accredited Diploma Course
Together with renowned designer and TV personality Darren Palmer, we have created a video MASTERSERIES to accompany and complement our online Interior Design Courses. It offers students the additional expert knowledge to truly inspire and take their design skills to another level.
The Visual Language of Design
The first module is an introduction to the creative and exciting world of interior design.
You will be introduced to the elements and principles of design that are used to create harmonious and balanced interiors.
• Learn how to observe, evaluate and form opinions of different design styles by analysing interior spaces.
• Develop your ‘designer’s eye’ and understand how to apply the knowledge and create inspirational designs for home and work environments.
The History of Style, Decoration and Architecture
This comprehensive module takes you on a fascinating journey, beginning with the origins of decorative finishes seen in cave paintings and ancient dwellings and leads you through the history of design and architecture to the present day.
Full of visual images and information, Module 2 will convey the meanings and messages behind the styles and decorative images you encounter.
• Learn to recognise architectural and decorative details influenced by ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian architecture, Neo-Classicism and more recent design styles.
• Incorporate these ideas into your designs, adding originality and creativity to your work.
• Gain an appreciation of art and design history and how it will continue to be an influence both in the present and the future.
In this module, you will learn how to make strategic and conceptual decisions for your design projects based on the desired function, style and mood of the space.
• Explore some of the most common interior decorating styles, including traditional, country, eclectic and contemporary.
• Develop your knowledge of different structures, common problems and solutions so that you can communicate clearly with clients, suppliers and tradespeople.
• Evaluate a site and assess existing structures in order to create a master plan and implement your ideas.
• Discover how to keep informed of trends and how to look for trend inspiration.
• Learn how to visually present ideas to your client by creating a mood board.
Now you will discover how to apply the design elements to your spatial planning and design concepts, considering different furniture layouts to suit the intended function of the space.
• Learn how to draw a floor plan, rearrange an existing space and plan a new layout for a renovation project.
• Study the different architectural elements that will be included in your floor plan, such as doors, windows, fireplaces and lighting fixtures.
• Become familiar with the functionality of different rooms and understand the role that furniture plays in the design process.
• Extend this project in subsequent assignments and develop a lighting plan, colour scheme and finishes.
• Build your first professional portfolio as you complete these exercises.
This module will enable you to discover the sources and properties of light, types of lighting and how the orientation of a space affects natural lighting.
• Learn how light affects the selection of colours on different surfaces, finishes and fabrics.
• Understand how to communicate your ideas clearly to electricians, builders and suppliers by specifying the correct products suitable for the intended purpose.
• Learn the various types of light bulbs available to interior designers and how to select the right one for a client’s room.
• Turn your creative vision into reality by using natural and artificial lighting to create a stunning effect in your interior design projects.
• Incorporate these ideas into your plan as you continue with the renovation project that started in Module 4.
This module will introduce you to the power and psychology of colour and how it can be used as a pivotal design tool in your projects.
• Learn about the properties of colour and understand how it can change the mood of a space, alter perceptions and create the intended style. Discover the effect of natural and artificial light on colour and surface textures.
• Use the colour wheel as inspiration and guidance to develop harmonious schemes and gain the confidence to use it effectively. Discover that there are no bad colours, only bad combinations.
• Experience the power of using colour in all aspects of your design projects to trigger different responses, such as vibrant and uplifting or muted and restful.
• Familiarise yourself with paint systems, products and specifications.
• Put together multiple colour schemes to accompany the renovation project from Module 4.
You will learn how to apply the concepts of three-dimensional design to the reality of a finished space.
• Discover the importance of ensuring quality finishes on the floor, walls and ceiling to create a striking and functional backdrop for furnishings and window treatments.
• Gain the product knowledge required to select and specify cost-effective finishes suitable for the intended end use to create a professional and enduring interior space.
• Find out how to plan and project manage the sequence of floor, wall and ceiling finishes required at different stages of a project.
• Create finish schedules for each room from the renovation project that began in Module 4.
Decorative Textiles and Fabrics
This informative module introduces you to the history, beauty and luxury of decorative textiles and fabrics.
You will be shown how to appreciate the importance of including items with luxurious and aesthetic appeal as essential components in your design, regardless of the available budget.
• Discover the endless possibilities for using fabrics with style and flair to create eye-catching interior spaces. Gain the confidence needed to apply the elements of design and transform spaces by using textiles, fabrics and other decorative accessories.
• Learn about the technical properties of fabrics and their suitability for different end uses. Understand the functional and aesthetic properties required for bed linen, rugs and decorative textiles.
• Create fabric selections for each room from the renovation project that began in Module 4.
Furniture, Art and Accessories
The pinnacle of great design is working with beautiful objects, furniture and art. With reference to Module 2 and the history of interior design, you will learn how furniture styles have been developed over the years for specific uses and applications.
• Apply your knowledge of design elements to the reality of placing beautiful objects into perfectly planned and well thought out spaces.
• Experience the sense of achievement when your space planning and elevations come to life.
• Showcase your creative potential with coordinated, harmonious interiors.
• Create the complete decor scheme for each room from the renovation project in Module 4.
Working With Clients
This module teaches you the work practices of professional designers. You will be shown the vital procedures and thought processes that bring a design to completion in the real world.
• Learn how to support your creative knowledge with the practical application that ensures success from the start of a project through to completion.
• Ensure that your proposals and management skills will bring work in on schedule and budget for any design project, whether for yourself or for a client.
• Gain the confidence needed to work professionally in the design industry.
In this module, you will be taught how to document your ideas and designs for clients, contractors and your own reference.
• Learn how to easily create a three-dimensional drawing from floor plans to help visualise the space and make more informed design choices.
• Find out how these drawings can help you win business and then manage the design process.
• Support your documentation with a clear set of drawings to ensure your ideas are interpreted correctly.
• Experience the pleasure of seeing your design concepts spring to life as projects are completed.
Setting Up an Interior Design Business
If you are considering making design your career, this may be the decisive chapter that is the stepping stone to your future success.
• See yourself in the context of the design industry.
• Take professional advice from outstanding business consultants who work with creative, respected and successful interior designers.
• Benefit from this valuable information regarding business development, business practice and market positioning.
• Learn how to put together a professional portfolio and receive an insight on setting up your own website and social media networks.
For each enrollment to our partner course $5.00 goes to UNICEF to help children in Syria crisis. This money will help to provide a safe education to the children in war torn Syria. UNICEF’s aim this year is to assist in providing a formal and safe education for 1.2 million children in Syria. This includes the provision of facilities, school furniture, qualified teachers, rehabilitation, safe learning environments and learning materials. We are very privileged to be working with UNICEF towards this goal.
Flexible Payment Options
Darren Palmer masterseries
International Certificate Course + Darren Palmer MASTERSERIES
The Interior Design Institute offers you the most advanced and comprehensive online solution to learning available today. We offer the most thorough home study courses in Interior Design using the very latest online learning techniques. Our commitment to providing the highest quality training program has resulted in unique teaching and student support systems, which produce unparalleled results.
Vicki is excited to share her wealth of knowledge gained from her diverse background in graphic design and interior design with the students of The Interior Design Institute.
Wendi had a 25 year career in theatre working in costume and set design, which took her around the world where she educated herself in architecture and interior design. During this time, she qualified with a real estate license and worked on many interior design projects for theatrical personalities.
Jasmine is the brains behind the design of our course materials and social media platforms and has worked together with Vicki and Wendi to deliver the course modules to our students.
Under her company name, form and colour, Wende Reid practices architectural, interior and furniture design and fine art consulting. She began her career in New York and now practices in Sydney.
Our handpicked tutors are not only great teachers, but experts in their fields.
Savitri’s passion for teaching grew from more than 10 years of experience, where she has successfully developed an extensive expertise in teaching Interior Design.
Linda has over 20 years experience in teaching interior design at TAFE, as coordinator of the interior design department and in curriculum design and development.
Vicki is excited to share her wealth of knowledge gained from her diverse background in graphic design and interior design with the students of The Interior Design Institute.
Robert Parisi began to develop his interest and passion for architecture and interior design as a young child.
We are accredited and recognised by
Take a moment to read some of our graduate testimonials.
Let Us Call You
Complete the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible
For answers to our most commonly asked questions, read our FAQs.
The courses are designed to be self-paced. For the Certificate Course, you would expect to be dedicating on average about 6-8 hours per week for 24 weeks. For the Diploma Course, you would expect to dedicate, as per AQF standards, approximately 18 hours per week of structured training over an 18 month period. Students studying the Certificate Course are provided up to 12 months to complete their studies. Students studying the Diploma Course are provided up to 18 months to complete their studies.
The courses are completed online. This means there are no classes to attend. You can study in your own time and at your own pace.
Our course is compatible with both PC and Mac devices, and basic computer knowledge is required. You will need:
– Microsoft Office with Excel, PowerPoint and Word (or similar software)
– Internet access
– Scanner or digital camera
Our courses are compatible with both PC and MAC computers, tablet and smartphone devices.
We recommend students source the following:
Scale ruler / Colour wheel / Lead pencil / Standard ruler / Eraser / Fine liner black pen 0.5mm / Blank paper to draw on or a visual diary / Colour pencils / Copic markers (optional) / Tape measure
Yes. We have a dedicated student Facebook group with over 20k active members. This group allows you to connect with other like-minded designers where you can discuss your assignments, the course and all things design.
Your tutor’s role is to assess your assignments and provide you with personalised feedback. They are also available to answer any questions you may have about your course. You can communicate with your personal tutor at any time through your secure student site, which you will be given access to once you enrol.
No. The courses are designed to allow for students who have had little or no experience in interior design.
As the courses are provided online, you have the flexibility to start when and where suits you. If you enrolled today, for example, you could start straight away.
Our course does not include any CAD software. We do, however, teach AutoCAD, ArchiCAD and SketchUp through our Advanced Modules. These can be purchased as you progress through the course.
All the learning is done online in that when you enrol, you receive a username and password, which enables you to log onto our secure student site. From there, you can download your first module, which you could liken to your textbook as it contains all the information you will need to complete assignment one. Each module is approximately 90 pages in length and is full of detailed, technical information delivered in a friendly, conversational manner that is easy to understand. The concepts are further explained by way of diagrams, images and examples. Once you have completed your assignment (some are just theoretical, but the majority of assignments combine both theory and fun practical tasks), you then upload it onto our site for your tutor to mark. The tutors will give you a grade (out of 10) and a comprehensive evaluation of your work and ideas. Their feedback will help nurture and improve your skills each step of the way.-