“Photography Is An Art Of Observation. It Has Little To Do With The Things You See And Everything To Do With The Way You See Them.”-Elliott Erwitt
Since the first photograph or at least the oldest surviving photograph taken in 1826 or 1827 through an arduous technique called heliography to photography getting as easy as a tap on a phone, photography has witnessed an astounding transformation over the period.
In the beginning, there was no such term as professional photography as it was barely restricted to the rich owing to the requirement of a decent understanding of physics and chemistry and also a hefty sum of money to buy relevant pieces of equipment. The industrial revolution led to rapid innovations that eventually forced upon a prolific increase in the demand for photographs as it has the power to capture the world and still moments shared with our loved ones. Even the governments across the world saw the high-quality pictures of their monuments and building as an opportunity to promote their tourism and started encouraging photography. This prompted passionate individuals from around the world to consider photography as a career option.
Today, in the digital age, there are more than 3 billion photographs uploaded every day. Photographs not only let us know about the day-to-day events transpiring in the lives of people around the world but also express the depth of their emotions that are beyond the power of words.
Facts being stated:
● Images in Facebook gets 20% more engagement than videos and 352% more engagement than (text only) posts.
● Articles with relevant images get 94% more views than articles that are without images.
According to marketing industry influencer Krista Neher, the human brain can process images up to 60,000 times faster than words. Hence, there is an ever-increasing rise in demands for high-quality photographs.
Photography can be the best career choice for you today because of the following reasons:-
1. It allows you to express yourself- We all know that a good picture can stir our emotions as we all have experienced it in our lives. Photography is a powerful way to explore our creativity and poignantly tell stories. It conveys those ineffable emotions and feelings that are difficult the express otherwise.
2. It allows you to travel- What can be better than getting to see new places and meet new people as a part of your job. It is one of the most attractive things about photography. You get to experience different places, know new ethnicities, enhance your perspective about the world and even earn from it.
3. It offers you many choices- There is not a single type of photography available today. But there is an array of options like Press photography/ Photojournalism, Feature Photography, Commercial Photography, Portrait and Wedding Photography, Advertisement Photography, Fashion Photography, Scientific Photography, Freelance Photography, etc.
4. It enhances your experience- Every day is different for photographers. Each day comes with new challenges to overcome and victories to celebrate. It gives a chance to see the world differently and enrich your artistic side. It lets you see things that you may never notice otherwise.
5. It expands your intelligence- You need to be very resourcefully, instinctive and competitive to become a successful photographer. Practicing photography brushes up on your intellect and creativity in ways that a normal 9 to 5 job can hardly do.
6. It acts as therapeutics- It is a no-brainer that constantly staring at statistics or an all-consuming job of taking stranger’s calls can never take over the joy of capturing two smiling faces, majestic mountains, or scrumptious food. It can be stress-relieving and cathartic which is something that not many jobs in the world can offer.
7. It can be a very beneficial business- Photography is a 110.79 billion USD industry. Although you should never pursue photography for money, yet the monetary benefit is always a bonus. If you can hone skills that are in demand, you will be able to earn more than you can ever expect.
8. It allows you to start your own business- You can be an entrepreneur of your ideas and work at your own pace by becoming a freelance photographer.
Photography lets you live an extraordinary life, think out of the box, and pave your own path by living life through the eye of the camera. Most of the phones today have very high pixel cameras which makes it extremely easy for everyone to take vivid high-quality photos from their phones, thus making it a very competitive field. Yet as Peter Adams said- “A camera didn’t make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” refined photography skills will always be in high demand and people will always want to see the world through the eye of a passionate photographer.
The popular culture of sharing our lives with the world has brought a sea of opportunity to the photographer as people nowadays want the essence of their important moments to be captured professionally. High-quality photos have become a mark of status for many people today making photography a booming industry with no sign of going downhills anytime soon.